2011 locations investigated
This page is for the use for WordCamp UK 2011 venue bidders to detail locations (city/town) and venues being investigated to avoid duplication of effort and to facilitate the possible pooling of bids.
Follow the format in this example for each location being investigated:
- Location (city/town name)
- Name of bidder(s)
- Notes - include venue(s) being researched
- Windsor / surrounding areas // High Wycombe
- Gavin Pearce @ 3seven9 // John Read @caridi
- With the Olympics ruling out the S.E. for the 2012 WordCamp, I felt the S.E should be given its chance this year (after all, a large majority of us do live here ;). Windsor is the perfect location, a very pretty town, plenty of culture and history, lots to see and do, outside of London yet close enough if people from the city want to attend, and still within 5 - 20 minutes of the M3, M4, M25, M40 - so easy access for all. Looking at http://www.principal-hayley.com/venues-and-hotels/the-oakley-court, great riverside location, though lots of details still to check at this early stage.
- Scarborough (North Yorkshire)
- Toni Sant
- University of Hull - Scarborough Campus -- wi-fi access, appropriate rooms/spaces, bar on site for evening social/s, easy transport links and lots of reasonably priced accommodation at this lovely seaside resort. University may be interested in being a Gold Sponsor rather than Bronze for 2011. So, we're looking into figures and availability. Some more here: http://www2.hull.ac.uk/scarborough/information-for-business/conference-facilities.aspx
- UNFORTUNATELY, WE'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT TO THE DEADLINE SO WE MAY HAVE TO WITHDRAW THIS LOCATION FROM CONSIDERATION FOR 2011, UNLESS THERE'S AN EXTENSION ON THE CLOSING DATE. WE ARE PARTICULARLY HEARTENED TO SEE A BID FROM LEEDS MET, ANYWAY.
- Leeds (West Yorkshire)
- Jon Eland & Linda Broughton
- Leeds Metropolitan University - Rose Bowl and/or Headingley Campus. Leeds Met Uni qualifies for many of the criteria established, having already run several successful unconferences including Talk About Local, Barcamp Leeds and Photocamp. We also have our own local tech event brand - LSx - which the event will have the support of. Purpose-built conference facilities are more than adequate for requirements - and following in illustrious footsteps of both TEDx and FOWA on tour. Linda represents the interests of the university who are very interested in attracting Wordcamp to Leeds. Full details will be in the response but, sitting at the confluence of M1, A1 and M62 and having the UK's busiest rail station and an airport nearby travel (and accomodation) will not be a problem. More: http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/conferencing/index_rose-bowl.htm
- WHILST WE HAVE CURRENTLY WITHDRAWN OUR PROPOSAL TO HOST THE EVENT IN LEEDS WE ARE STILL INTERESTED IN DOING SO. PLEASE CONTACT US SHOULD INVESTIGATIONS INTO THE SOUTH EAST NOT REACH A SATISFACTORY CONCLUSION
- University of Portsmouth (Rich Boakes / David Goodwin)
- Our conference department have confirmed that they could fulfil and exceed the 2011 venue requirements; furthermore they will match last year's bid pricing structure.